Things to remember when regifting:
- When regifting, make sure that you are truly regifting- ie you have not used the item in question at all yourself and it is still in mint condition.
- Make sure to remove all old tags. You want the recipient to think that you bought it especially for them. Obviously don’t regift anything that has been inscribed or engraved for you! While we are at it, remove any price tags if the original gifter hadn’t (you do all know to remove price tags before giving gifts, right??)
- Avoid regifting extremely unique items when the original giver might see it.
- Make sure the gift is something you think the recipient would like to receive, not just something you want to get rid of (save those for White Elephant exchanges!)
- You should probably also not regift family heirlooms whose absence will be noticed.
- Definitely do not present the regift in front of the person who gave it to you originally!
The key is to make sure that no one’s feelings get hurt in the regifting process- either the original giver or the recipient.